Trying to juggle too many things at once? Never seem to get any task finished? Multitasking might be the problem.
Try timing yourself as you write the numbers 1-26 and letters a-z down, but write one number then one letter – 1 a 2 b 3 c… Once that is done, time yourself writing the numbers 1–26 and letters a-z. How much faster were you when you focused on one task at a time?
When running a business it is hard to avoid interruptions but try these easy ideas:
- Turn off your email message notification and instead check your emails once an hour.
- Set aside time each day to return calls. That could be 30 minutes before lunch and another 30 minutes inthe afternoon.
- Take breaks – get out of the office at least twice a day – go for a walk to clear your head. It may take five minutes. The break will de-stress you and make you more focused.
- Eat lunch away from your desk. Use your lunch break as an opportunity to interact with staff in the lunch room.
- Close your office door and ask for no interruptions if you are working on a difficult task
- Try to handle each piece of paper only once.
Taking these suggestions will save you time and help bring order to your day.