Here are several ways to obtain great ideas for new products:
- Run informal sessions where groups of customers meet with company engineers and designers to discuss problems, needs and brainstorm potential solutions
- Allow staff time off to work on pet projects
- Survey your customers and find out what they like and dislike in your competitor’s products
- Attend trade shows and gain intelligence; learn about all that is new in your industry
- Set up an ‘Idea Vault’ and make it easily accessible to your staff.
Harnessing ideas that come from internal and external stakeholders can give your business that extra ‘edge’.