Skip to main content

Suite 501, Level 5,
7 Secant Street,
Liverpool NSW 2170

Call Us Today On (02) 9600 7760

Small Business Fees and Charges Rebate

Small Business Fees and Charges Rebate

Sole traders, a small business owners, or not-for-profit organisations in NSW may be eligible for a $3,000 small business fees and charges rebate.

This refund aids businesses in recovering from the effects of COVID-19 and promotes growth by lowering operating costs. Businesses and not-for-profits that qualify for the rebate only need to apply once, but they can submit multiple claims until the full value of $3,000 is obtained.

The funds can be used against the costs of eligible NSW and local government taxes and charges that are due and paid from 1 March 2021. These include, but are not limited to:

  • food authority licences
  • liquor licences
  • tradesperson licences
  • event fees
  • outdoor seating fees
  • council rates
  • road user tolls for business use.

Click here to view the full list of eligible fees and charges.

Employing businesses can now recover 50% of the cost of COVID-19 rapid antigen tests (RATs), up to a maximum refund of $3,000 to assist their employees to test when necessary.

The rebate is not available to offset against fines or penalties, fees and charges with the primary goal of discouraging or inducing behaviour changes, Commonwealth government charges, rent on government premises, or taxes.

The rebate is due to close by 30 June 2022.

Eligibility for the Small Business Fees and Charges Rebate

Small businesses (including non-employing sole traders) and not-for-profit organisations must meet the following criteria to be eligible for this rebate:

  • have total Australian wages of less than $1.2 million
  • have an Australian Company Number (ABN) registered in NSW and/or have physical business premises operating in NSW
  • Only small enterprises with employees are eligible for a 50% reimbursement on RATs, up to a maximum of $3,000 in rebate value. Businesses who do not have employees will be unable to claim the reimbursement for the cost of RATs.

Note that each ABN is only eligible for one $3,000 rebate.

What you’ll need to apply for the Small Business Fees and Charges Rebate

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • proof of identity
  • valid ABN/ACN,
  • business banking details for payment


When applying for the rebate and each time you make a claim, you may be required to provide supporting paperwork.

How to apply for the Small Business Fees and Charges Rebate

  1. Check your eligibility.
  2. Make sure you have all your documents and evidence ready to upload.
  3. Create a MyServiceNSW Account or log in if you have one.
  4. Note that once you’ve started your application, you won’t be able to save or resume it.
  5. Choose and double-check your identification documents.
  6. Select ‘Continue’ once your identification has been verified.
  7. Verify your contact information.
  8. Select ‘Next’ after entering the required information and uploading any supporting documents.
  9. Fill in your bank details.
  10. Check the declaration boxes.
  11. Submit your application by clicking ‘Next.’

You’ll receive an email confirmation with your application reference number after you submit your application. Please check your junk mail folder and call 13 77 88 if you do not receive this email within 5 minutes of submitting your application.

Service NSW will consider your application once it has been received. If they require additional information to support your application, they will contact you. You’ll receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to file a claim if your application is approved.

Please call 13 77 88 if you are unable to apply online.

Submitting a claim for the Small Business Fees and Charges Rebate

  • You’ll need to present an invoice or receipt for each claim that shows you’ve paid the eligible fee or charge.
  • Each claim must be submitted separately, and each receipt or invoice can only be uploaded once.
  • Each receipt or invoice can only be submitted once.
  • If you pay an invoice in instalments, please wait until all of the quarters you want to claim have been paid in full. For example, if you have paid council rates for one quarter but want to claim a rebate for the remaining quarters of the same year, please wait until you have paid all of your council rates for the year before filing your claim.
  • If you’re claiming road tolls for business purposes, you’ll need to attach a statement from the company’s E-Toll or Linkt account.

If you’d like to learn more about this rebate, please contact us or head to Service NSW for more information.


This page contains information that is of a general nature. It does not take into account your specific requirements or circumstances. Before making any financial decisions, you should consider your individual financial situation, objectives, and requirements, and seek financial advice.

Get in touch

Contact Us Today